Text Analytics Minor
The Text Analytics Minor is directed at matriculated, undergraduate students looking to enhance their resumes after graduation.
We are offering the Text Analytics Minor as an assessment tool to prospective employers. Individuals who complete the Minor can employ their skills in a variety of areas:
- in Speech Recognition and Machine Translation
- in various applications involving text-mining, text-classification, or text-filtering such as sentiment analysis of product reviews or microblogs, customer service support analysis, SPAM detection, and litigation support
- in Information Retrieval and Information Extraction
The minor in text analytics consists of a minimum of 15 units to include
- Linguistics 571 (3 units) or Linguistics 572 (3 units)
- Statistics 550 (3 units) or Statistics 551A (3 units)
- Linguistics 581 (3 units) or Computer Science 581 (3 units)
- Linguistics 583 (3 units)
- One of the following:
- Linguistics 551 (3 units)
- Biology 568 (3 units)
- Computer Science 550 (3 units)
- Statistics 520 (3 units)
For Statistics 550 and 551A, students must satisfy lower division calculus and linear algebra prerequisites (Mathematics 151, 252, and 254).
Courses in the minor may not be counted toward the major. A minimum of six upper division units must be completed in residence at San Diego State University.
Mark Gawron, Program Advisor
Email: [email protected] | Phone: (619) 594-0252 | Office: SHW 238